Since leaving Squamish and its gloriously perfect weather, Marco
and I have made a beeline for the south and hotter temps! As I write this
(which, for those who haven’t realized, is typically a few days before I post
this, so whatever I write is already said and done by the time you read this), we are currently
cruising through Arizona and it is a nice, balmy 100 degrees outside. No, Marco
and I have not suddenly chosen to roast in the deserts of Vegas because we are
gambling fiends…actually, we both have a strong and genuine distaste for the heat.
Rather, we are heading to a wedding in Corrales ,
New Mexico and, thus, have had to endure some
hot temps along the journey to New
Mexico . Fortunately, the weather in Corrales looks
much milder than the heat we’re currently traversing through. In addition to
scorching temps, the jaunt south has provided us with some very cool pit stops.
I’ll start the story back up in the cooler and greener lands of Squamish , British
Columbia .
1. OLYMPIC
NATIONAL PARK
After leaving Squamish, Marco and I embarked on part two of
our national park tour! Our first stop was Olympic National Park in Washington . I must
admit, after falling in love with Grand Teton and Glacier National Park, it is
difficult to get as fully enveloped in and enchanted by the beauty of a
national park. Those two parks were on another level. However, that said,
Olympic was quite captivating and breathtaking in its own way. We explored
Olympic over the course of one and a half days. First, we drove along the
northern border of the park with the purpose of checking out the hot springs in Sol Duc.
Based on what we read and given the cool temperatures during the evening we
arrived, the hot springs
sounded amazing after three straight weeks of climbing. On our drive in, we
passed by Lake Crescent ,
a beautiful 600-foot deep lake that is as blue as blue can be.
We arrived to the hot springs
around 8:00PM and were informed at the entrance gate that the hot springs close at 9:00PM. This struck me
as a bit odd…if these were natural hot
springs sitting around in the forest, how could they
“close” them down? But, seeing as we were already late, I annoyingly rushed
Marco to find a parking spot so we could hurry up and get in. The approach to
the hot springs
was a bit odd—we had to enter through a resort, the Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort.
I spoke with the man at the front desk and was informed that the hot springs cost
$12.95/person, but, since we were arriving so late, we could get the “twilight”
special, which was only $9.95/person. I was a bit bummed about the additional
charge for use of the hot springs…we have found that once in a national park,
we can do most anything free of charge. And, the things that we have had to pay
for in the past, have not been worth the money—$12/person boat ride across
Jenny Lake in Grand Teton (the boat ride was less than five minutes, not very
scenic, and the hike around the lake is only a couple of miles…we should have saved
the money and hiked), $40/person one hour horse ride through Yosemite (a cool
way to tour Yosemite, I suppose, but the horses were like drones…they just
traipsed along like zombies and you didn’t get to enjoy the actual horseback
riding part of the tour…not worth the $80 we shelled out). The charge for the hot springs should have
been a tip off that they were going to be similar to previous fee activities.
After paying, we were directed to the changing rooms. The smell of sulphur was
very strong, so my interest was re-peaked and I was getting excited again. We
missed the hot springs in Thermopolis , Wyoming ,
so I was excited to get another chance at the experience. Excited, that is, until
we stepped outside and saw the alleged hot
springs . Unfortunately, I did not get a picture, but
just think of the last swimming pool and hot tub that you were in and that is
exactly what the hot springs
looked like. There was a large swimming pool and three smaller hot tubs…as in
an actual hot tub…all overflowing with little kids. The only bits of the whole
experience that actually exuded a sense of outdoors and nature were the mass
swarm of bugs that encircled the hot tubs and the offensively strong smell of
sulphur that leaked into every crevice of your body. We lasted just over 12
minutes and then decided to rinse off and find a campsite for the night. When
on a tight budget (read=unemployed and counting every dollar), $20 for 12
minutes in a hot tub overflowing with little kids is not exactly a way one
wants to spend his/her money. Oh well, lesson learned. Always be skeptical of
the additional fee activities at all national parks!
Our second day at Olympic proved to be much more fruitful.
Starting north at La Push Beach, we checked out the coastal stretch of Olympic.
It was pretty spectacular. Long, endless stretches of rocky coast. And, the
best part, we saw two bald eagles! They were perched in the weeds along the
coast. The beaches were not very crowded and were very serene. In addition to
La Push, we explored Ruby
Beach and Beaches 1
through 6. The beaches were all very reminiscent of the Oregon coast and that whole Goonies vibe I
described in my earlier blog entry. As much as I love the east coast and 100%
of my loyalties lie with New England and its beaches (I am through and through
a die hard Cape Cod loyal), I have to admit the Pacific
Northwest beaches are far and away the most majestic beaches I
have ever visited. They are my kind of beach. Chilly, intermittent sun, rocks
galore, and they impress a sense of mystery and adventure upon each visitor…as
if a hidden treasure lies around every corner. I loved them.
La Push
Beach
| Bald eagle #1! |
| Bald eagle #2! |
Beaches 1 through 6 (I don’t remember which picture was
taken at which beach…)
| Marco spotted a seal! |
| Seals! |
In addition to checking out the majestic coast, we spent our
second day in the Hoh
Rain Forest . We explored the
rain forest via the Spruce Natural Trial and the Hall of Mosses Trail. The
forest was so lush and green. It was equally as enchanting as the coast, but in
a totally different manner.
During the evening, Marco cooked our best meal yet! We
lucked out by finding a picnic area with grills, so we were able to grill some
steaks and potatoes. The entire meal was incredibly delicious. And it didn’t
hurt that the picnic area overlooked a beautiful lake!
Finally, on our drive out of Washington ,
we cruised through Kurt Cobain’s hometown, Aberdeen , WA .
I have never seen Marco so excited! We tracked down the famous welcome sign and,
of course, Marco had to get a picture with it (despite me freaking out over the
“No Parking” signs on the side of the road…we were quick!)
2. CRATER LAKE
NATIONAL PARK
After leaving Washington
behind, we made a quick pit stop in Portland
to spend the night with Lindsey and Anan. This time, we managed to hold a photo
session on Lindsey’s balcony to make sure we got a picture together!
After a delicious dinner cooked by Lindsey and a night of wine
& Sharknado (I can’t believe this is what has become popular since our
departure in April!), we set off to check out Crater Lake !
Crater Lake is one park I was extremely
excited for—I had heard great things about how shockingly beautifully it is
from many people, including my parents who recently visited. For those that are
not familiar with Crater Lake, it is a lake in the middle of a dormant volcano
called Mount Mazama . Mount
Mazama last erupted in 5700 B.C.,
which caused the summit of the mountain to collapse in on itself, thus creating
the foundation for Crater Lake . We arrived
around 10:00AM and scrambled out of our van to the first overlook we came upon
to see the beauty of the lake for ourselves. Ready for what we saw…
Fortunately, we got incredibly clear views of the lake from
the base of the hike! And, after speaking to a local, we found out that my
so-called “clouds” were actually smoke due to the forest fires in Oregon . So,
unfortunately, our experience of Crater Lake
was smoked out, but we still managed to have a great time exploring the shore
of the lake! And, as always, Marco got in some rad cliff jumping. I, after
overhearing a fight between the couple next to us, decided to borrow Marco’s
bathing suit and get in the water myself. I didn’t bring my suit down with me,
because I assumed I wouldn’t want to go in. The air was cool and I wasn’t that
into cliff jumping. However, while sitting on the rocky shore while Marco was
swimming, I overheard the couple next to us fighting. The man (roughly our
age), who had just jumped off the cliff into the water, was pressuring the
woman (also roughly our age) to go in the water. She kept refusing. And the
bickering ensued. Finally she said something along the lines of, “Listen, I
don’t want to go in the water. It seems like you really care whether I go in
the water, but I don’t really care about going in at all. So I am not going
in.” He replied with, “You’re at Crater Lake .
You hiked down to the edge of the lake. You’re only going to be here once.
Don’t you want to be able to say you swam in Crater Lake ?”
As soon as he said that, I found myself thinking “I am at Crater
Lake ! Who knows when I’ll be back here? I want to be able to say I
swam in Crater Lake !” As soon as Marco got out
of the water, I stripped down to my sports bra, threw on Marco’s board shorts
and went in (via an easy approach, not a cliff jump!). The water was
unnervingly cold, but so incredibly worth it. I mean, come on, I swam in Crater Lake . How many people can say that!?
| Finally, a clear view of the lake! The water was impeccably blue and clear! |
| Marco trying to climb the rocks...always, everywhere. |
| Check it out…Marco started taking pictures with the Super Vivid setting on the camera so that we could actually capture what the lake would have looked like if it had been smoke-free! |
| Check out all that smoke! |
| Phantom Ship, an island made of erosion-resistant lava. |
| Wizard Island, through the smoke. |
After checking out Crater Lake ,
we took a little detour to view The Pinnacles, a valley of spires made of
hardened volcanic ash. They were very cool to view. I recommend this short
detour for anyone checking out Crater Lake .
For anyone that is in the Crater Lake
area, we highly recommend trying Beckie’s Restaurant. It’s southwest of Crater Lake on Route 62—so delicious and the pie itself
is reason enough to visit!
3. REDWOOD NATIONAL PARK
After Crater Lake, we drove out to the northern coast of California to check out Redwood National Park .
Note, the smoke continued during our drive through Oregon . It was very eerie! It was hard to
even see the road or the mountains surrounding the road…the smoke was thick.
There were signs all along the road thanking the hundreds (probably thousands)
of local firefighters that were constantly fighting the fires. Everyone should
take a moment to recognize and appreciate all of the firefighters that keep
them safe and fight fires to protect all of us…whether or not you live in an
area prone to forest fires, your local firefighters are working hard every day
to keep you safe. I know I’m biased—my dad is a retired fire chief—but I do
believe firefighters tend to be under-appreciated. So, just remember to thank
your local firefighters when you see them!
| Smokey streets due to forest fires. |
The smoke fortunately cleared as we entered California , which allowed us to take in the
ridiculousness of the Redwood trees that spotted the highway as we entered
northern California .
The drive itself (199 south to 101 south in Crescent City , CA
and further along 101 south to Klamath, CA) was picturesque. The trees were
incredible and the coast, which would peep out now and again, was gorgeous. I
got to experience my first black sand beach! We camped out in Klamath during
our time in northern California .
For the first couple days, we explored Lost Rocks, a bouldering area on the
beach. It was definitely the most scenic bouldering I have ever done—it’s on a
gorgeous beach, which, for the most part, is not populated with anything except
for osprey, pelicans, seals, and (on one occasion) a bald eagle! No crash pads
necessary due to the sandy landing. The camping was also stellar…an overlook
view of the ocean. It doesn’t get much more serene and peaceful than that.
| Marco scoping out the beach...that's Little Bunny on the left of the boulder! |
Finally, after a couple days of mist, the sun came out! We
only had one afternoon of sun during our five day stay in the Redwoods.
Fortunately, Marco and I were able to catch the most stellar sunset I have ever
seen! We viewed it from our overlook while enjoying Marco’s delicious fried
rice! YUM!
On our third day, we moved our camp to Mystic Forest RV Park
in Klamath (I highly, highly recommend this campground!) because…drum roll…one of
my best friends from childhood came to visit! The notorious J.Blo. Yup, Ms.
Jennifer Bloom herself. We spent two and a half days checking out Redwood National Park and the surrounding area.
I suppose the best way to explain Jen’s visit is via pictures.
Day 1: Exploring Klamath Beach
Day 2: Hiking Lady Bird Johnson Grove, Foothill Trail, & Prairie Creek
Trail
| Jen and I dwarfed by a Redwood! |
| She may be hard to see, but that's little J.Blo in between two mammoth trees! |
| Old man face in the tree. |
| Top Model. Booty tooch! Yeah Jen. |
| Heart shaped leaves. |
| Marco found a little fort! |
| Big Tree--that is literally the name of this tree. I mean really, every single tree we saw could have been named Big Tree. You think the park could have been more creative. |
| Banana slug! Jen wanted to eat it. |
| Troll face, with hair and all, stuck in the tree! |
Day 3: Hiking James Irvine Trail, Fern Canyon, Gold Bluff Beach and Miner’s
Ridge Trail
| Fern Canyon. |
| After exiting Fern Canyon, we came upon a couple elk catching some sun on the beach. I’ve seen a lot of elk this trip, but this was definitely the coolest elk sighting yet. We were on a beach! |
And that concluded our time with Jenny! I should note,
though, Jen’s favorite part of the trip was definitely our neighbors at the
campground—a little family of adorable gray foxes that lived right behind the
tent Jen was sleeping in. They came out every night, just after the sun set,
and they would wander around our campground. On our first night there, I
flashed my headlamp at the tent and caught three sets of eyes peering out from behind the
tent, all within ten feet of me. Jen FREAKED out! Marco and I initially thought
they were cats—they were so tiny! Then Jen made us realize how incredibly weird
it would be for a family of feral cats to be hanging out in the woods. A few
minutes after our first sighting, we got a better view (huge tail and little
fox ears!) as one of the foxes slinked up next to the van and sniffed around
for food. Jen ultimately warmed up to them after she saw how harmless and
adorable they were. The camp host informed us the foxes have became so
accustomed to some of the long term campers that they will curl up next to
their fire pits and they have become friendly with their dogs (how crazy)! Our
favorite fox, Petey, had a particular fondness for Marco. While Jen and I were
in the bathroom one night, the fox walked right up to our picnic table, sniffed
around, then jumped on the table, sniffed around, and finally jumped down and
went right up to Marco’s feet. Sadly, we didn’t snap any pictures of Petey or
his friends.
Jen, thank you for the visit! We miss you and hope you had a
great time exploring the rest of the Pacific Northwest !
Marco and I left the coast to start our trek inland towards New Mexico on Monday,
August 5. Stay tuned for an update on our adventures in Tahoe ,
Nevada & Arizona ! As always, we miss everyone lots. Every
day I think about all the friends and family we left behind and every day I
miss everyone!
| Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse in Trinidad, California, next to Trinidad Bay Eatery & Gallery, which serves some of the best clam chowder I have ever had! |
I love reading these posts, and the pictures are so cool! Glad you are having fun and seeing a lot. I talked with Colette tonight, and she wanted me to tell you she got your postcard and enjoyed reading it.
ReplyDelete