Friday, June 14, 2013

South Dakota Part I: A Sightseeing Perspective

We made it to South Dakota…finally getting a taste of the west! My overall impression is holy amazing vacation destination! I’m going to cover South Dakota in two parts—first, the amazing sightseeing we experienced, and second, the ridiculous and unlike-anything-I’ve-ever-done-before climbing we experienced.

I am amazed that I never heard much about vacationing in South Dakota. Maybe because it’s somewhat inaccessible? Maybe because I grew up on the east coast? I don’t know. But it is for sure a vacation spot that every family in the country should visit. It is so rich with both history and culture that were crucial to the growth and development of our country. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon it all. For those who want some quick trip beta, I recommend flying into Rapid City, SD—though hightail it out of there asap! It’s not the most tourist-friendly city and feels semi-skeazy. The WalMart does not even allow overnight RV/Trailer parking (how unfriendly!). However, within an hour or two of Rapid City in various directions lay some fabulous destinations, all nestled within or nearby the Black Hills National Forest, including: (1) Badlands National Park (1 hour east of Rapid City); (2) Mount Rushmore National Memorial & Crazy Horse (1/2 hour south west of Rapid City); (3) Deadwood, SD (1 hour north of Rapid City); and (4) Devil’s Tower/Bear Lodge (1 ½ hours northwest of Rapid City…technically it’s in Wyoming, but I’m grouping it into this blog post). Here’s our take on it all!

(1)   Badlands National Park

Prior to arriving at the Badlands, Marco and I both had no idea what to expect. I had heard of the Badlands, but aside from hearing the name, I didn’t know what it was all about. From the very outset, even just seeing them in the distance, we were in awe. Maybe our awe had to do with the fact that we had just traveled endless hours over very flat land, but, even without the preceding hours of flat, boring land, the Badlands are undeniably striking. The best way to describe the Badlands is as a mini-Grand Canyon carved into the prairie lands of South Dakota. It stretches for miles (hundreds, maybe, not sure?) and consists of huge rock formations, canyons, and prairies. As we visited other parts of South Dakota, we learned of various Native Americans and frontiersmen that got lost or hid out in the Badlands…they are definitely an easy place to get lost in! The Badlands are explored via your vehicle—in other words, you drive through the national park and get out at various points to hike around and check out the scenery. We drove the North Unit loop, which is the paved and most visited portion of the park. I felt like I was on a safari! It was a very cool way to experience a national park—around every turn the landscape and rocks just rose up and demanded your attention. And—my favorite part—we encountered SO much wildlife (pictures below!). We saw long horn sheep, bison, prairie dogs galore, and a single, lone pronghorn (we only snapped a butt shot, he was fast!). I still cannot get over that this place exists in our country and I hadn’t even realized! You literally can hop in your car, drive into the park and cruise by some big ol’ bison chilling in their natural habitat. I felt like I was traveling back in time. As an east coaster who has spent much of my adult life in a city, I didn’t realize this all still existed.

In addition to the North Unit, there is a South Unit that is unpaved, hard to travel, and easy to get lost in...so we heard. There are ample warnings that it is very difficult to navigate and can cause much wear and tear on your vehicle. We decided not to brave it in Bean, given our past car problems when exploring “inaccessible” climbing areas. However, the South Unit sounds very interesting—it hosts the site of the last Ghost Dance, which was danced by members of the Sioux in 1890 just prior to the massacre at Wounded Knee. I imagine the site has extreme spiritual meaning for many people.

This is a good point to note that our entire experience in South Dakota was full of encounters with Native American history. Prior to this trip, I did not know much about the history of the Native Americans in this region of the country, but the history and legends that we recently learned are very intriguing and moving. For this reason alone, I recommend traveling to South Dakota to experience the Native American history and culture.

And now for the pictures…meet the Badlands!














And, my favorite…the wildlife!


Prairie dogs were EVERYWHERE! They are so adorable. They make this real high-pitched chirping noise and it is just the cutest thing ever to watch them scramble around. As they walk their little tails wag super fast. Marco wanted to feed them the entire time! But I explained to him that if you feed the wildlife, they become dependent on humans for food, and when humans stop feeding them, they cannot fend for themselves and they die. I analogized the situation to my current situation with Marco—he does all the cooking and feeds me. If he were to stop feeding me, I likely would not know how to fend for myself and would curl up and die in a little ditch! Essentially, I am a redheaded prairie dog that is dependent on human Marco!






Long horn sheep (they had radio trackers on them so that the National Park Service can keep tabs on them).



Bison!






Pronghorn! 
Once we finished the North Unit drive, we passed through a small (miniscule…less than one NY block) town called Scenic, South Dakota. It gives new meaning to the term “small town.” This was yet another town we chose to view from the comfort of our van.





(2)   Mount Rushmore National Memorial

After we left the Badlands, we drove to the Black Hills to check out Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills themselves are endless—the forest stretches all along the western side of South Dakota and into Wyoming. The forest has countless “Recreation Areas,” which are National Park Service managed areas to hike, picnic, camp, and enjoy the outdoors. Fortunately, the Wrinkled Rock Recreation Area, located a couple miles away from Mount Rushmore, provides free camping! So that is where we stationed ourselves while in the area. Now, yes, free camping is great, but it definitely comes with a cost…namely, the crazy/loco folks who also enjoy free camping just as much as the rest of us. We encountered two notable persons that were definitely on the suspicious side.

First, when we arrived on Tuesday evening around 6:00 PM, we parked next to a car with an Iowa license plate. Inside the vehicle was a man (late 40’s?) sitting in the passenger seat reading. Our first thought, “He’s just waiting for someone.” So we set up for the night, cook dinner, have a couple beers and relax. A few hours later, when it starts to get dark, we notice he’s still there. Except now he’s sleeping in the passenger seat. Fine, maybe he got tired? No big deal. We get ready for bed and call it a night. We wake up the next morning and guess who is in the passenger seat next to us reading…Iowa guy! And the weird part is, we never saw him leave the car for anything, nor did we see him eat anything. So, since we are leaving our van next to this semi-suspicious character all day, Marco takes down the license plate number…just in case—you never know what may happen in South Dakota! We head out and hike to the rocks to climb. After a very long day of climbing, we head back to Wrinkled Rock and Mr. Iowa is STILL in his car just chill-axing. We decided it was just too odd for us, so we ask a neighboring vehicle if they know anything about the situation. They said they had been camping in the lot for 8 nights and he was there THE ENTIRE TIME! Just chilling in his vehicle. They said he occasionally got out to use the bathroom and walk around—but very rarely. Super bizarre, right? After a couple nights at Wrinkled Rock, we decided to hit up a KOA Campground to take showers (we were pushing a week without a shower!). The following night when we returned to Wrinkled Rock, Iowa guy hadn’t budged at all. And the weird part was the weather was starting to heat up. When we arrived to the Rushmore area, it was downright cold—not just chilly, but cold. As the days progressed, it was getting pretty hot during the day and warmer at night. He must have been roasting in there! Then, finally, some action! One morning, while we were getting ready to climb, I noticed he was out and about walking around the parking lot. “Hmmm…,” I think, “What is he up to!?” Then, after a few minutes, I hear his car start. At this point, Marco is in the bathroom, so I have no one to share the breaking news with—I am legit very excited at the breakthrough. Next thing I know, his car is cruising out of the parking lot. And then he was gone! Just like that. After roughly 14 days of existing only in his vehicle in the Wrinkled Rock parking lot, he was gone. Very suspicious! I asked Marco what he thought the purpose of Iowa guy’s 14 days of solitude was. His response: “Maybe he was a teacher and he had some vacation time and that is how he chose to spend his vacation time.” I love the simplicity of his answer. I had concocted some crazy tale…too intricate and convoluted to get into. Anyways, if Marco is correct, I hope my children never encounter a teacher that spends his vacation days in a parking lot in a car by himself.

Our second odd encounter at Wrinkled Rock came in the evening after a long day of climbing. We had just finished cooking dinner when a park ranger drove into the lot and approached us. After making the lame and predictable joke that numerous people have made when they stumble upon us while we are cooking (“Oh look, you made me dinner!”), he informed us that he had picked up a hitchhiker by Mount Rushmore. Seeing as hitchhiking is illegal in the area, the ranger picked him up and gave him a lift to the free campground. The ranger told us that he had run the guy’s name through their system and there were no outstanding warrants nor was there a criminal history for the guy. Accordingly, the ranger told us we shouldn’t worry about this random hitchhiker and he should not give us any trouble. The ranger’s exact words: “He may hit you up for some water, since he’s been walking since Oregon, but other than that, he shouldn’t be a bother!” Umm, what!? The whole situation was bizarre. So the ranger leaves and next thing you know this random guy (mid-20’s?) pops around the corner of our van and starts rambling to us about how the ranger gave him a ticket for having a pot pipe, even though he had no pot in it. We attempted to make small talk, but it seemed like the reason his pot pipe may have been empty when the ranger found it was because he had consumed all of its contents! Turns out he is from Orange County California and he is walking/hitchhiking across the country. He intends to be in Florida by the end of the summer. He decided to set up his tent right next to our van…lucky us! As predicted, he asked us for some water. We filled up an old cranberry jug with water and gave him an orange. He also had a really cute puppy with him named Amen (odd name, but the dog was adorable). Over the course of the next hour, as we tried to enjoy our meal, he kept popping over to ask us questions…e.g., “You guys climb? So, like, what’s the most rad climb you’ve done!?” and “Do you have a fork I can borrow…or any disposable silverware that I can have?” At one point he asked us for a can opener. He said: “Yeah, I lost my can opener. I just have a machete, but I don’t think that will work.” Um, okay…so now the random, stoner hitchhiker camping next to us is armed with a machete. I feel okay about this situation…no. And he definitely spent the evening having a conversation with his dog Amen, which was a bit odd, but I get it—he has been walking across the country alone, he needs company. I saw Castaway…Amen is this guy’s Wilson. I also think he may have contracted tuberculosis somewhere along his journey—he was hacking up a lung the entire night. Don’t worry, when he returned our can opener I made sure to wipe it down with an anti-bacterial wipe immediately! Ultimately, the guy turned out to be harmless. Amen, on the other hand…during the evening the hitchhiker let Amen out of the tent to go to the bathroom. The sliding door of our van was open, and, before we knew it, Amen had run up the hill and jumped in our van. All I could think was “He’s going to shit in our van! He probably has fleas! Or even worse, rabies!” But, fortunately, he just wanted to say hi (and probably hop a ride with us and ditch his hitchhiking sidekick). Sadly, we had to shoo him out of the van and bid him farewell, fleas and all (I’m positive him and the hitchhiker both have fleas). So, the hacking hitchhiker turned out to be a nice guy, just seeking something out of life via a crazy cross country expedition. And, in the end, I feel bad that we didn’t interact with him more. NYC just made me so skeptical of people in general, particularly people that act out of the ordinary, like our friend the hitchhiker.

Sunset from our campground, which, in full disclosure, was just a gravel parking lot with a pit toilet. But remember…FREE!
Crazy people aside, Mount Rushmore itself is pretty stunning. It’s just an overwhelming piece of work. Only pictures can do it justice (better yet, only a visit in person can do it justice! Go to Mount Rushmore stat!)

View from the Avenue of Flags. George Washington was chosen to represent the birth of the nation, since he was the country's first president. Thomas Jefferson was chosen to represent the growth of the nation, since he greatly increased the size with the Louisiana Purchase. Theodore Roosevelt was chosen to represent the development of the nation, since he was instrumental in the creation of the Panama Canal. Abraham Lincoln was chosen to represent the preservation of the nation, since he kept the country unified despite the Civil War. Birth, Growth, Development & Preservation!


We went back at night to watch the lighting ceremony, which is performed every night at 9:00 PM. I highly recommend checking it out! Prior to the lighting of the monument, a video is shown that explains the importance of each president and why each was chosen to be featured as part of the memorial. After the video, all former and current service men and women that have served our country were invited onto stage to be honored. It was truly touching. It brought about that same feeling when the National Anthem is sung at the beginning of a major sporting event…there’s just so much pride for our country coursing through the entire crowd! I loved it. I’m also one of those people that loved the movie Lincoln. History is important! It can be inspiring and provide mentorship to future generations that are willing to be inspired and mentored! And now I’m done being a dorky history nerd. Go to Mount Rushmore!


Profile shot of Wash from our drive back to Wrinkled Rock.
And, of course, any good blog post is not complete without a Marco story. Check it.

I caught Marco trimming his nose hair in the Mount Rushmore parking lot! He wanted to impress “Wash, Lin, Jeff and Roos” (Those are the actual nicknames that Marco chose to call them…he felt he was tight with the former presidents after spending so much time in the area. Randomly, one day, he just referred to them as such. I love when he chooses to be funny!)

(3)   Crazy Horse

Just a short drive from Mount Rushmore is another rock sculpture that is definitely worth a visit—Crazy Horse. I will probably get this history wrong, but here is my recollection of Crazy Horse. Sometime in the 1940s, the Lakota people were given permission by the federal government to carve a sculpture into the Black Hills to commemorate the Native American history of the region (in light of Mount Rushmore being resurrected, they rightly felt they should be permitted to honor great leaders of their past). Chiefs of various tribes decided to honor Crazy Horse, a Lakota warrior that was stabbed in the back around the time of the battle of Little Big Horn. Crazy Horse is a hero to many Native Americans and, from what I understand, encompasses and symbolizes the Native American way of life. We viewed a short video that discussed the importance of Crazy Horse and I would do him injustice in trying to re-convey his significance (so I won’t try, but Google him or watch a video on him!)

The sculpture was started in 1948 by Korczak Ziolkowski. The finished product is intended to look like the following:


However, the sculpture is taking an exceedingly long time to make! Thus far, only the head of Crazy Horse is completed!


 
There are a few reasons why it is taking so long and each is very interesting. First, it sounds like Korczak Ziolkowski was working single handedly in the initial phases of construction. He moved to the area on his own, built a log cabin to live and work in, and got started! Eventually he married, had ten children, built them a school, and all but three of the children have stuck around and have chosen to continue their father’s work on Crazy Horse. So, in summary, it’s a family affair! Ziolkowski passed away in 1996, but his wife and children have continued the work.

This is a picture of the climbing harness that was on display. Apparently it was used by the men that aided in the earlier days of construction.
Second, the sculpture is huge! It is said that Mount Rushmore itself (all four presidents) can fit inside just the head of Crazy Horse! So obviously the large scale of the sculpture is causing construction to take quite a bit of time.

Third, Korczak Ziolkowski refused to take any federal government money for the project. On at least two occasions he turned down offers by the federal government for a substantial sum of money. He feels the sculptor should be funded by the tourists and people that come to see Crazy Horse and learn about the history.


The small version of the sculpture with the actual rock formation in the background!
  
(4)   Deadwood, South Dakota

After we left the Rushmore area, we drove an hour north to spend the day in Deadwood, South Dakota. Deadwood is the epitome of the wild west! It was the center of the gold rush and, back in the 1800’s, was full of casinos, prostitutes, saloons, and people hungry for gold. Unfortunately, the town didn’t feel as authentic as Marco and I had hoped. It has become a bit too commercialized.
  
The Main Street in Deadwood, lined with casinos, saloons and restaurants. It all felt a bit too put on.
But, nonetheless, it’s a very fun and interesting place to visit. Deadwood is where “Wild Bill” Hickock was shot and killed. He was one of the most colorful characters of the wild west—think Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Buffalo Bill, etc. I’m a huge fan of the movie Tombstone, so I was really into the characters of the west for a bit and read about them all. Anyways, we saw a reenactment of Wild Bill’s death at Saloon No. 10, the bar in which he was shot in the back of the head by Jack McCall (the actual Saloon No. 10 in which he was killed had a fire, so the bar has been resurrected in a new location). McCall was ultimately convicted of murder and hung. One of the more interesting stops on our visit to Deadwood was Mount Moriah, the cemetery in which Wild Bill and many other people from the late 1800’s were buried.



 Another colorful character from Deadwood that we learned about is Martha Jane Burke, aka “Calamity Jane.” She was a prostitute, turned scout, turned []. Rumor has it she had a thing with Wild Bill—although another camp of people say she was so heinous, there’s no way Wild Bill, who was a married man when he met her, would have kept company with her. Based on the pictures we saw, she was a bit on the unattractive side (that’s putting it nicely). Either way, the story is interesting. I think she died somewhere in Arizona (maybe?). On her deathbed she requested to be buried next to Wild Bill. Her wish was granted, and, apparently, people in Deadwood pulled together some funds to throw her an exceedingly large funeral party.


We learned about the above events during a visit to the Adams Museum in Deadwood. Check out some other interesting pictures from the museum.



As noted in the description, Exhibit 68 is “Shoes owned by prostitute in one of Deadwood’s brothels.” I’m pretty sure they still carry these shoes at WalMart…but I don’t think they market them as “Deadwood prostitute shoes.”

(5)   Devil’s Tower/Bear Lodge

Though technically not in South Dakota, Devil’s Tower is located just across the border in Wyoming. We left Deadwood in the afternoon and spent the night checking out Devil’s Tower. Interestingly, as soon as we crossed the border into Wyoming, the landscape seemed to change immediately! The hills turned a bright red color and the grass was exceptionally green. We hopped off Interstate 90 to take a more scenic route to Devil’s Tower…it was absolutely beautiful. Here are some shots from the drive.




Our purpose of visiting Devil’s Tower was namely to climb it. It’s a huge destination for climbers across the world. Here’s some history on Devil’s Tower, straight from a “Point of Interest” pull-off on a highway in Wyoming!



Shot of Devil’s Tower from the pull off. Even from a distance, its enormous and towering presence is undeniable.

We're getting closer...
As I was saying, our purpose was to do one of the classic routes on Devil’s Tower. However, unbenounced to us prior to our arrival, the National Park Service has asked all climbers to voluntarily refrain from climbing Devil’s Tower in the month of June. The voluntary closure is requested because Devil’s Tower is a very sacred and symbolic place for many Native Americans, and Native Americans view climbing on Devil’s Tower as an extremely offensive act that is the equivalent of defiling a sacred place. They feel this way about any climbing on Devil’s Tower regardless of the month, however, the month of June happens to be very symbolic and important in Native American culture due to the summer solstice, so the National Park Service has chosen this month in particular for voluntary closure. During June, there are numerous Native American ceremonies and observances that occur at Devil’s Tower. In the literature we read, climbing has dropped 80% in the month of June. In other words, 80% of climbers comply with the request not to climb, however, 20% choose to climb regardless of the request. Marco and I chose not to climb and I’m very happy with our decision after spending more time at Devil’s Tower and learning about its importance.

Climbers who chose to disobey the voluntary closure and climb…bad climbing juju for them!
Devil’s Tower, actually called Bear Lodge by Native Americans, was created according to the following legend (the short, regurgitated version). Eight siblings (seven girls and one boy) were playing in the forest. Suddenly, the boy started turned into a large bear and chased the girls. The girls came upon a tree that spoke to them and told them not to move. The tree then rose up out of the ground, forming a large tower, with the girls on top. The bear clawed at the tree, trying to get the girls, but they were safe. The bear’s claws formed the many columns that mark the side of Bear Lodge.

The tower does look like it was clawed out of the earth by a bear!


The girls were saved from the bear and were later rescued from the top of the tower by birds. Marco particularly liked the legend of Bear Lodge! He bought a poster that depicts a bear clawing its way up Bear Lodge.

With respect to the name, apparently Native Americans do no appreciate the name Devil’s Tower. They do not like that such a negative being (the devil) is equated with such a sacred place. However, when Devil’s Tower was first discovered, the man who discovered it allegedly said that Native Americans called it Evil Being Tower (or something to that affect), and, accordingly, it was given the name Devil’s Tower. Marco and I both like to refer to it as Bear Lodge—the legend is just so fitting once you’ve seen the shape and contours of the rock!

So, back to our trip. Given that we opted to comply with the voluntary climbing closure, we did not get to climb Devil’s Tower. Instead, we took a very scenic and lovely “hike” (read = stroll) around Devil’s Tower—it was a 1 ¼ mile paved trail with little to no elevation change. There were two other hiking options that were a bit more rugged, however, when I asked the ranger about ticks, he said that his partner picked off 35 ticks the prior day. He said we were likely to encounter something similar if we took the more rugged hikes. Paved trail it was! Here are pictures from our hike.


On the “hike” we encountered a redheaded squirrel. My long lost relative!

View from the hike.


Marco reading about Devil's Tower.
And that is all I have to say about South Dakota (I know, I know…it was a doozy! There’s just so much to report!). If my blog didn’t convince you that South Dakota is a very cool vacation destination, check this out. See the following van:


We camped at the same campground as them just outside Deadwood in Spearfish, SD. We saw them leaving the campground early one morning. Shortly after, we left the campground and ended up parking next to them at Mount Moriah (the Wild Bill cemetery in Deadwood). After we left the cemetery, we coincidentally parked behind them in the center of Deadwood in the public parking lot. Later that day, when we pulled off the major interstate to take the longer and more scenic route to Devil’s Tower, we cruised by them as they were pulled over on the side of the road! And if that wasn’t coincidence enough, that evening they pulled into the same campground as us and parked directly across the way. See, everyone loves sightseeing in South Dakota!


Okay, enough for now. Stay tuned for South Dakota Part II—an account of the ridiculous climbing at the Needles in Mount Rushmore! Lots of love from Wyoming! We miss everyone dearly, especially all of our NY friends. Despite the incredible scenery and fun places we are visiting, a night out with everyone in NYC sounds pretty phenomenal! Wish you all could be here enjoying this with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment